Winter Safety Tips – What to do after a snow storm
Severe weather such as heavy, drifting or blowing snow can potentially pose a risk to your propane heating system. Here are some safety tips to follow after heavy snowfalls and icy conditions.
- Keep a clear and safe pathway to your tanks, including your driveway to make winter deliveries accessible.
- Carefully clear heavy snow and ice from tanks, gauges, fittings, lines, valves and vents. Failure to do so can cause damage that could result in a gas leak. Use a broom to clear snow and ice; never a shovel.
- Look out for safety hazards such as heavy icicles or snow from the roof or eaves directly above and around your tank and its components.
- If you notice your tank has shifted position, gas lines are bent, broken or damaged, or you notice anything unusual such as rotten egg-smelling odor inside or outside your home, turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank and call us right away.
- If your property is vacant or you are planning an extended holiday, be sure to have a friend, relative or caretaker check on your propane tank, lines and clear your pathways during your absence.
Sparlings customers who have WON their DELIVERY
Sparlings has been busy giving away residential delivery orders with our ‘Win Your Delivery’ contest. Congratulations to our lucky winners! The following customers so far have won their delivery
David Malone, Dundalk, ON
Guy Rogers, Little Britain, ON
Norma Hastings, Cambridge, ON
Bill Horton, Toronto, ON
Donald (Rick) Witherspoon, Lion's Head, ON
View More Winners
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by burning material that contains carbon. It can be produced by common household appliances. When not properly ventilated, carbon monoxide emissions can build up to dangerous levels.
Practice carbon monoxide safety by following these tips:
- Test your carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working properly. Change the batteries, if needed.
- In the event of a prolonged power outage, never use outdoor propane equipment like portable grills inside your home.
- If you have a portable generator, never operate it in your basement or garage. Always run a generator outdoors.
Don't chance a breakdown. Protect your appliances.
Regular maintenance of your propane appliances is a sound investment in your family’s safety, comfort, and warmth. Not only does regular maintenance increase the lifespan of your equipment, it can help you avoid or reduce the costs of repair in the event of an untimely breakdown.
Let our team of expert, HVAC-qualified technicians look after your equipment for you.
Service made simple:
- Select the appliances you would like covered.
- Pay only $14.99 per month (or $179.88 per year) for your primary appliance. Add additional appliances you would like covered for an extra $5.99 each per month ($71.88 per year). Examples of appliances to cover include: furnace, fireplace, water heater, boiler, air conditioner.
- Schedule your annual 24ProPlus inspection between April 1 and August 31.
Your annual inspection includes:
- Test safety controls
- Clean ignition / Pilot assembly
- Examine heat exchanger
- Monitor flue draft
- Monitor refrigerant pressure
- Clean burner assembly
- Clean or replace standard air filters
- Clean blower components
- Measure temperature rise
- Tighten electrical connections
- Measure input voltage
- Lubricate all moving parts
- Check thermostat calibration
- Clean condensate drains
- Check clearance to combustibles
- Measure gas pressure
- Test ignition cycle
- Monitor heating cycles
- Measure igniter resistance
- Measure blower motor amps
- Vacuum and examine inner cabinets
- Check venting components
- Check gas connections
- Apply maintenance decal / tag
Commercial equipment maintenance plans are now available.
Your 24ProPlus program is much more than annual maintenance. The program also includes:
- 24/7 Priority Service: Ontario’s largest dedicated propane service team is on call for you.
- Discounts on repairs: Receive a 15% discount on any required repairs between inspections.
- Discounts on accessories: Receive a 10% discount on accessories such as programmable thermostats and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Emergency after-hours service: Pay only standard labour rates for any after-hours emergency service.
Automatic delivery customers - have your heating habits changed?
Did you know changes to your household can affect your automatic deliveries?
We calculate your automatic delivery schedule by examining your past usage, along with the current weather, to estimate when you’re ready for a new delivery. It is really important to let us know when something changes at home that might affect how much propane you use.
You need to let us know if:
- Someone moves in or out of your home (such as if your child leaves for college, or if a relative moves in)
- A long-term guest arrives or leaves
- You’re planning to take an extended vacation or your home will be vacant for an prolonged period
- You’re planning or have completed renovations
- You’re moving
- You’ve added a propane appliance such as a water heater, fireplace, pool heater or barbeque
If you’re planning changes like these in your home, let us know so we can adjust your delivery schedule.